Pathology Update

I went to my second post-op appointment with the plastic surgeon yesterday.  For the most part, it was relatively uneventful.  They changed the dressings and put on new ones.  Which  means that I got to get a good look at the new girls.  It's definitely pretty gnarly and Tzaddi got some awesome pictures (which I won't gross you out with).  It amazes me that with all the fantastic science we have at our fingertips they still hand-sew after surgery.  
Although I look like Frankenstein under my clothes, this is what I looked like on the way to the doctor appointment:
Yup, I'm still rocking the drain-apron, but I'm trying to coordinate with my outfits.  Not too shabby, eh?

I also got to talk to my general surgeon about the updated pathology report.  
Pathology Highlights:
1.  They got ALL of the tumor.  Duh - I should hope so since they removed all of my breast tissue.  
2. They only removed ONE lymph node (the sentinel node) and it contained NO cancer.  Woot Woot!
3. They found ANOTHER cancer.  A completely DIFFERENT cancer (DCIS) than the original tumor (IDC).  It was also in my right breast, about 2 cm away from the lump.  The doctor said it was a good thing we (as in, I) decided to do a mastectomy over a lumpectomy because they probably wouldn't have caught it.  Dodged a bullet on that one, huh?  

Next milestone is to get the drains removed on 11/18 which can't possibly come fast enough.  Still anticipating chemotherapy to start around Thanksgiving but it just depends on how fast I'm healing.  I will post the info here as soon as I know it!
Much love to all of you :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucy Turns Three!

Saturday Morning Sweetness

Happy Birthday, Tzaddi!